About the course
Music in Healthcare Settings Training is a fantastic opportunity to explore live, interactive music making in hospitals and other healthcare settings for children and young people.
The course will introduce you to the thinking behind using music to enhance wellbeing and to enrich the sound ecology of clinical spaces.
The five-day Foundation Training course combines theoretical learning with practical music making and on site visits to The Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital in Brighton.
You can find out more about the Rhythmix, Wishing Well programme here:
Rhythmix is a Charity registered with the Charity Commission of England & Wales, no. 112564
The course will be led by Kate Murdoch and Bela Emerson from the Rhythmix, Wishing
Well Music in Healthcare team.
To take part in the training, you will need:
- Experience of facilitating music in community settings
- Competency on at least one instrument/voice, appropriate repertoire and basic improvisation skills.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Confidence in evaluating and reflecting on your work.
- Hospitals can be challenging places to work. Applicants need to be confident of their ability to work in this environment, sometimes with very poorly children and busy staff
- Self awareness is key.
Our objectives for trainees are:
- To understand and explore the place of music in healthcare settings and related ethical issues
- To identify and explore the theoretical and practical skills needed to work as a musician in healthcare settings
- To understand musical techniques and approaches (vocal and instrumental repertoire, appropriate instruments, improvisation)
- To understand spatial awareness, interaction with patients and families and relationship building with key clinical staff
- Thursday 31 March and Friday 1 April 2016
- Weekend off
- Monday 4, Tuesday 5 and Wednesday 6 April 2016
- 9.30am to 5pm every day. It is vital that you are available for the entire course, 9.30-5pm every day
Training days will be held at a venue in Lewes (accessible by train and bus) except for Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 April which will be at The Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital, Brighton (accessible by bus)
- Application deadline: Friday 22 January 2016
- Course Fee: £120
- Refreshments: We will provide drinks, fruit and snacks but you will need to provide your own lunch every day
- If you would like to discuss the training before making an application please contact Jo White, Wishing Well Project Manager email@example.com
- Participation on this course does not guarantee you future work with us. We know that this training has transferable elements and has transformed the work of Musicians in many other settings
- Rhythmix reserve the right to reclaim the full cost of this course should the participant above fail to attend any part of the course. Rhythmix is asking participants to pay the fee of £120. The full cost of a place is £500
- Places are limited and will be allocated at the discretion of Rhythmix